Graduation Project: Predictive cost model for omnichannel retail
We work with a retail company that offers their products to customers with a variety of services (e.g. delivery) and a variety of sales and fulfillment channels. In the past few years, we have worked on developing a cost allocation solution that is able to present as-is insights in the cost performance of these sales channels and ways of fulfilling the orders. In the next phase we are interested to add predictive functionalities as well, to answer questions such as:
– What would be the impact on costs if we operate a different supply chain setup?
– What is the impact of sales forecasts on the bottom-line performance?
These questions support taking appropriate investment and steering decisions.
To answer these questions, we need a cost prediction scenario model that captures the relationships between the input variables (e.g. sales, network structure, etc.) and the cost outcomes. There is a lot of historical data available that could be helpful in defining such a model.
In this project, you will be expected to do a literature review and identify suitable cost prediction methods. The impact of recent global crises on the historical data is a factor that needs to be considered.
Who you are
- You are in your last year of your Masters in the field of data science, industrial engineering, business mathematics, supply chain management, operations research or other similar areas. Students from social sciences background with very strong statistical knowledge are welcome as well.
- You are familiar with statistical sampling, model building and data collection methods.
- You are proficient in at least one of the following tools: R/MATLAB/Python/Java.
- You are proficient in English.
- You are comfortable with approaching and communicating with people.
- You are available for a minimum of six months.
What we offer
- Join our company and improve the world
- Enjoy an open, kind and fun culture
- Active employee association for fun activities with colleagues and content driven Young ORTEC for you to join
- We help you to #stayhealthy, to #stayeffective and to #stayconnected: we organize online activities such as pub quizzes, online sports events, social calls with colleagues, and when possible, offline events will be common practice as well again.
- Excellent supervision during your graduation project
- Good internship allowance and a laptop
- Activities with all graduate students at ORTEC, like Friday afternoon drinks
What to expect
We will help you to thrive in your field of expertise. We offer development programs, tailored to your individual needs and function requirements, including opportunities to attend courses and seminars. We offer challenging, practical hands-on experience with opportunities to work abroad. We operate in a flat organizational structure that keeps communication lines short. The atmosphere is open, informal, cooperative and positive. We employ over 1000 people in the Netherlands (HQ), Belgium, Germany, France, the U.K., Romania, Italy, the U.S., Australia, Brazil, Poland, Denmark and Singapore. Visit our website www.ortec.com to learn more about our solutions and clients’ experiences. Please do not use this vacancy as an acquisition opportunity.